Early Careers Program - Software Engineer
Now is an exciting time to join Macy’s Tech. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation. We have a history of re-invention and are always looking forward.
As a software engineer at Macy’s, you’ll help us shape the future of retail. The goal is simple: stay driven, develop your technical and leadership skills, and set the pace in retail technology.
Start Dates: June and September 2021
Who We Are
Macy’s is dedicated to making life shine brighter for our customers, colleagues, and communities. Our recipe for success is a strong national footprint, robust e-commerce business, and a great mobile experience that ties it all together. Macy’s Tech combines the entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up with the stability of an iconic national brand. Our team supports millions of customers in connected commerce across the technology hub at Macy’s.
About the Program
Early Careers provides the next generation of engineers with an opportunity to continuously learn and develop their skills in a variety of areas. You’ll gain real production work experience, opportunities for professional growth, and dedicated mentoring support.
What You’ll Do:
- Work alongside your mentor and fellow engineers in an agile work environment.
- Attend in-house technology training.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams.
The program consists of a minimum of two (2) six-month rotations in these core businesses to help you grow as an engineering generalist. You may rotate through additional disciplines according to your interests and business needs:
- Mobile: Build technology that connects our brick-and-mortar stores with robust e-commerce tools to create a seamless customer experience.
- Common Services: Help lay the foundation for advancing our Macy’s integrated technology platform.
- Store Technology: Serve approx. 130,000 colleagues in our stores with cloud-enabled, web-driven sales and productivity tools.
- Merchandising Systems: Make significant contributions to our core systems and learn how to maximize the value of data.
- Supply Chain: Build software that brings joy to our customers in the form of a package.
- Application Security: Protect the personal information of our customers and colleagues while securing corporate data and financial information.
Why Be a Generalist?
The short answer is - it’s good to have options! A diversified skillset is important for a sustainable career path with the broadest range of options. Macy’s values engineering generalists because they approach engineering with a holistic understanding of key businesses and technologies across the enterprise. Generalists can tackle critical engineering projects and grow their careers by staying flexible and adapting as business needs change. The engineering generalist excels on small teams with tight deadlines and brings a big picture perspective to complex projects.
- HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE - Each rotation provides on-the-job training as you work to support key initiatives and customer-facing projects.
- TECHNICAL SKILLS – Learn to design, code, test, debug, and document programs across various applications and platforms. Get experience with secure coding practices throughout the program.
- SUPPORT – You will be supported by a dedicated mentor for each rotation and a buddy for the entire program.
- CONTINUOUS LEARNING - Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and get a well-rounded view of our business. Diversify your skills and continue learning to stay ahead of the curve.
About Macy’s, Inc.
Macy’s, Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers, with fiscal 2018 sales of $24.971 billion and approximately 130,000 employees. The company operates approximately 680 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 190 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury, and Macy’s Backstage.