Postdoctoral Appointee - Fire and Combustion Modeler
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher to develop models and computational methods for the simulation of complex reacting flows and heat transfer, including flow flows, and radiative heat transfer. The successful candidate will implement new multi-physics models in Sandia simulation codes, and work with analysts and experimentalists. Applications of particular interest are the response of organic materials in fire environments, combustion of composite materials, and/or liquid pool fires. You will be able to expand these modeling capabilities to impact several of Sandia’s key mission areas, including nuclear stockpile safety and energy security. External publication of research and analysis work is encouraged. Members of our department interact closely with engineers and other researchers and analysts across the California and New Mexico sites.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work on a number of R&D projects concurrently;
- Collaborate across several diverse (and sometimes remote) teams.
Qualifications We Require
- PhD in Aerospace, Mechanical, Material Science, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a closely related field;
- Knowledge and experience with the physics relating to gas and solid phase combustion and fires;
- Experiencing processing data and handling large quantities of data;
- Proficiency in a data plotting/manipulation language (e.g., Matlab or Python);
- Demonstrated ability to make original contributions to engineering science as evidenced through a strong publication record;
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge and experience with computational modeling of turbulent combustion, pyrolysis chemistry, heat transfer, and multiphase flows;
- Experience or education including applied mathematics is also beneficial;
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages (Python, C++, etc.) is a plus.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
About Our Team
Sandia/California's Thermal/Fluid Science and Engineering Department is a multidisciplinary group of engineers and researchers who specialize in fluid mechanics and heat and mass transfer. The work mix in the group includes developing theory and models, performing scientific and high-performance computing, and executing applied engineering analysis for a range of experiments and mechanical designs. The group plays two primary roles in science-based engineering at Sandia: (1) developing new computational methods, capabilities and tools to describe fluid mechanics and heat transfer; (2) performing computational analysis to predict the design performance of engineered systems in defense, energy, and industry applications. Recent activities within the group include heat transfer modeling, porous media reacting flow modeling, multi-phase flow modeling, hydrogen storage and safety technology, fluid dynamics modeling, combustion and heat transfer modeling, turbulent heat transfer simulation, and applied uncertainty quantification to all of these application areas.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.