Power Systems Design Engineer
Please do not apply without required degree and applicable work experience.
The TECH Group (JTG) within Jacobs Technology provides design and build services for government and commercial clients worldwide. The market areas served are most notably test facilities and scientific facilities. JTG is looking for a Power Engineer to support projects ranging from small studies to multi-million dollar turn-key supply. The successful candidate must be team-oriented, organized, able to communicate to all levels of the organization, and able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Duties will include:
- Participate on teams or alone to design, develop, and deliver power system projects that achieve the technical requirements, are within budget, and within schedule
- Develop power system design elements for design/build projects including calculations, specifications, and drawings
- Perform load calculations for sizing electrical components, cables, conduit, and equipment spacing
- Perform short circuit and arc-flash studies for relay coordination, risk reduction, and compliance with applicable codes
- Develop drawings including one-line diagrams, elementary wiring diagrams, power system plans, lighting plans, and installation details
- Specify major electrical system components including substations, switchgear, distribution panels, MCCs, transformers, disconnects, and drives for systems typically ranging from 1 to 10 MW.
- Design lighting systems for test facilities including specification and analysis of illumination levels and lighting quality
- Support facility startup, checkout and commissioning, domestically and abroad.
- Communicate with clients and management regarding status.
- Coordinate with other engineering discipline and departments to ensure success.
Applicant must have Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years direct experience in low voltage and medium voltage power distribution design. This candidate shall possess a PE or be on a path toward obtaining PR registration. The candidate must be experienced in engineering software skills such as EDSA or SKM. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs is required. Good communications and interpersonal relations skills are needed.
Successful candidates will have an industrial applications background in electrical power systems, specifically in design of medium voltage and low voltage subsystems, power distribution, motor control centers, drive systems, power monitoring, and design for electrical safety. Experience must include performing load analysis, short circuit calculations, power factor correction, arc-flash and relay coordination studies, and lighting calculations. This position requires total project cycle experience including: design analysis, developing drawings with designers, preparing specifications, construction support, post design engineering services, start-up and commissioning of power systems. Construction estimating and proposal development may also be required.